This Vanilla Orange Bread! The combination of vanilla and orange takes me back to my childhood eating creamsicles!
The other day when I made the Creamy Cashew Date Spread, I made this Vanilla Orange Bread. Because I love the combination of orange and date, I thought it would go well with the date spread. It was just an experiment, but my husband and I ended up really liking it!
So, today I made another one to make sure that it was good enough to share with you. It comes together quickly and easily. I’d say that a slice would be good for dessert or with a cup of coffee or any old time you feel like eating it!
The recipe calls for orange zest in the batter, so make sure you get an organic orange to use for making your zest.
Both times I made this Vanilla Orange Bread, it sunk in the middle a little bit. I wasn’t jumping around either, Lol!
It was always such a big deal when I was growing up not to jump around when my mom had a cake in the oven because it might fall in the center. If I was and it did, then I was in big trouble!
I have a little trick that I think helps to keep the bread moist. When it’s out of the oven and has been cooling for about 30 – 45 minutes, check to see if the bread is still slightly warm – NOT hot. At that point, wrap the loaf in plastic wrap and then in a layer of foil over the plastic wrap. Let it completely cool like this for about 2 or 3 hours or overnight. This seems to lock in the moistness and the flavor. Give it a try and see what you think. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Vegan Vanilla Orange Bread recipe:
Vanilla Orange Bread
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mild oil like sunflower
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice concentrate mixed in water - total equivalent 1/2 cup
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar - stirred in at the end
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine your dry ingredients in a bowl, both types of flour, the sugar, baking soda, salt
- In another bowl, combine your wet ingredients except the vinegar - oil, almond milk, orange juice, vanilla and the orange zest and whisk together
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined but not over mixed
- Stir in the apple cider vinegar at the end and pour the batter into a parchment lined loaf pan
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes. Start checking at 40 - 45 minutes. It will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 - 10 minutes
- Then take out of the pan using the parchment paper to lift it out onto the cooling rack
- Carefully remove the parchment from the loaf after about 5 - 10 minutes and continue cooling
- After about 30 - 45 minutes, when the loaf is slightly warm NOT hot, wrap the loaf in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil and continue to keep it on the cooling rack for a couple hours or overnight
- This will keep your bread moist and also blend the flavors