Olive Cheese Bread! – you just can’t go wrong with olives in almost anything in my book!
I have a confession to make. I really love cooking shows on tv – they’re actually some of my favorite programs to watch. Competition shows like Chopped, Cutthroat Kitchen and Cupcake Wars are really fun to watch – to me… I guess I’m just a true foodie through and through!
The other day I was watching The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. She made an Olive Cheese Bread that looked so delicious. Since I’m such an olive lover, I was inspired to put my own twist on it and try to make a vegan appetizer version.
This vegan Olive Cheese Bread would be a perfect appetizer for a New Year’s Eve party or any get-together. It’s such a colorful and tasty treat with 3 kinds of olives, roasted red peppers, green onions and vegan mozzarella shreds – an olive lover’s delight!
I lived with a family a few years ago who hated olives. Before that time, this was a very foreign concept to me. I guess I always thought that everyone loved olives as much as I do. So, I’ve come to the conclusion that olives must be a love/hate thing!
So, this recipe for the vegan version of Olive Cheese Bread is only for olive lovers – but I’m quite sure there are a lot of those and the haters are few and far between!
Olive lovers unite for this yummy treat!!
For this appetizer, I used a baguette for the bread. I cut the baguette into some 1/2″ slices and also some pieces cut in 5″ lengths that I cut in half lengthwise. I then spread the olive cheese mixture generously on the pieces of baguette and put them on a baking sheet to bake. After they came out of the oven, I cut the 5″ lengths into smaller appetizer size pieces.
I think a baguette is the perfect appetizer size bread and it also has a great crunch after being in the oven without getting too hard.
*Update* – After making my appetizers I had a little of the spread leftover in the refrigerator and I discovered that it makes a delicious spread for toast and also a great sandwich spread – Yum! Enjoy all my olive loving friends!
Here is the Recipe:
Olive Cheese Bread
- 1/4 cup black olives sliced
- 3/4 cup Kalamata olives sliced
- 3/4 cup green olives with pimento sliced
- 2 - 3 green onions chopped, scallions
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 stick softened vegan butter, or dairy butter if not vegan
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise, or regular if not vegan
- 3/4 cup vegan cheese shreds, or dairy cheese if not vegan
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped fine (Optional)
- 1 baguette or bread of your choice
- *Take your butter out to soften ahead of time*
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Mix the mayonnaise and the softened butter together in a bowl
- Add the olives, roasted red peppers and green onions (scallions)
- Add the cheese shreds
- Add the garlic granules and optional rosemary
- Mix all this together well
- Cut slices of baguette and also 5" or 6" sections of the baguette cut in half lengthwise
- Spread the olive cheese spread generously on the baguette pieces and place on a baking sheet
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 15 minutes
Recipe inspired by: The Pioneer Woman
Leave a Reply