This savory Creamy Hungarian Mushroom Soup recipe will satisfy your need for delicious, rich and warming umami flavors. Cozy up to a steaming cup & enjoy!
It’s the time of the year for cozy sweaters, tall boots, warm fires and lots of yummy comfort food. Here is Northern California it’s been rain rain and more rain – with lots of flooding!
The earthy flavors and creamy texture of this Creamy Hungarian Mushroom soup recipe makes me want to get on my couch with a hot bowl of soup, my soft fuzzy blanket on my lap, the cat by my side and a fire in the fireplace. A perfect hygge setting, wouldn’t you say? Some of life’s simple pleasures.
For this soup I used cremini mushrooms. I think white button mushrooms or almost any type of mushroom like shitakes, portabellas or a combination of all would be delicious in this recipe also.
And did I mention the fresh dill? It’s such a great addition to this soup that adds such a distinct herbal freshness and pairs so well with the mushrooms and sour cream.
Grab a cup and pour up some steaming hot and Creamy Hungarian Mushroom Soup and savor each bite of this tasty soup!
Pin and Save for Later!
Here is the recipe:
Creamy Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- 4 Tbsp butter, use vegan butter if vegan
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup shallots, diced
- 1 lb mushrooms of your choice, sliced, I used cremini mushrooms
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup medium dry sherry
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup whole milk, substitute unsweetend non-dairy soy milk for vegan
- 1/2 cup sour cream, plus a little more for optional topping, substitute vegan sour cream if vegan
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, minced, can substitute 1/2 tsp dried dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp mellow light white miso for more umami, optional
- In a heavy bottom soup pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat and add the onions and shallots and saute for about 3 - 4 minutes, or until softened and translucent.
- Next add the sliced mushrooms, salt and pepper
- Turn up the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms release their juices and start to brown slightly. This should take about 10 minutes or so.
- Once the mushrooms are golden brown, turn the heat down to medium and add the minced garlic, stir and let cook for about 30 seconds and then add the 1/2 cup medium dry sherry to the pot to deglaze.
- Once almost all of the sherry has evaporated, sprinkle on the flour and paprika, stir and let cook for about 1 minute.
- Next, while stirring, add the stock or broth, the milk and the soy sauce and bring to a gentle boil, the reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream, fresh lemon juice and fresh dill
- If using the optional miso, take a little broth out and stir in 1 tsp of mellow light white miso until it dissolves and add that back into the pot of soup
- Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed.
- Top each portion with a dollop of sour cream or vegan sour cream (optional)
- Top each portion with a sprinkle of fresh chopped dill (optional)
*Please note that the nutrition information provided is just a close estimate using an online nutrition calculator. It shouldn’t be considered a substitute for professional advice.*
Inspired by: Platings and Pairings
Craving more delicious vegetarian soups?
See all the Soup & Stew recipes on Vegelicious Kitchen!
And I’d really like to know –
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how this Creamy Hungarian Mushroom Soup turned out for you. A comment and a rating below would be greatly appreciated. I’d love to hear from you!
Also, I’d love it if you’d share a picture on Instagram so I can see your creation! Make sure to tag me @vegeliciouskitchen and use the hashtag #vegeliciouskitchen.
Thanks so much friends,