This hearty and flavorful Vegetarian Pasta Fagioli is a classic Italian soup full of fresh vegetables, creamy cannellini beans and pasta.
Hearty and flavorful, almost stew-like but still brothy, this Vegetarian Pasta Fagioli is a classic Italian soup. It’s the perfect combination of comfort food ingredients. It’s full of fresh vegetables, creamy cannellini beans and pasta – enough said!
Cannellini beans are the beans of choice for this otherwise vegetable and noodle soup. They are a very soft and creamy bean that adds a heartiness and texture to any soups or stews they’re in. The Italian cannellini bean is also know as a white kidney bean. It’s one and the same!
Traditionally, a small noodle like ditalini noodles, aka salad macaroni, is used in this soup. I don’t think there are any hard and fast rules about it though! I did use ditalini noodles in my soup. But they may be difficult for you to find, so a regular macaroni noodle will work just as well.
A hot steaming bowl of this classic Italian soup is perfect for when it’s chilly out and really, it’s just so tasty anytime! My husband and I love to have it for a cozy and comforting evening meal.
Serve it with some crusty bread or this Cornbread Muffins recipe to soak up every drop of that delicious broth and enjoy!
Here is the recipe:
Hearty Vegetarian Pasta Fagioli
- 1 medium/large onion, chopped small
- 1/2 cup (rounded), celery, diced
- 1/2 cup (rounded), carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup (rounded), green beans or cauliflower, cut small, or other vegetable of your choice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped, equivalent to about 2 handfuls
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp (scant), red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (rounded), cooked small noodles, like ditalini
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp oil for sauteeing the veggies, like olive, grapeseed or avocado oil
- 1 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, broken up
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- *Precook the noodles and set aside*
- While the noodles are cooking, get a heavy bottom soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the oil of your choice and set the pot on medium heat.
- Add the onions to the pot and sprinkle with a little salt. Saute for about a minute or 2.
- Then add the celery, carrots and your other vegetable choice with a little more salt. Continue sauteeing for another 2 - 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and saute stirring for another 20 - 30 seconds.
- Next, add the large can of whole peeled tomatoes with juice, broken up by hand.
- Stir in a scant 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. This adds a little heat.
- Add the vegetable broth.
- Stir in 2 handfuls of coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves.
- Add the dried basil, dried oregano and bay leaves.
- Stir in 1 tbsp soy sauce.
- Cover and cook on a high simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. When this is done, remove the bay leaves.
- Stir in the cooked noodles and cannellini beans and heat through.
- Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the top and stir in (optional).
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil leaves (optional).
- A tasty addition to this soup when serving, is a topping of parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan cheese if vegan.
*Please not that the nutrition information provided is just a close estimate using an online nutrition calculator.*
Inspired by: Two Peas and Their Pod
Other Popular Soups on Vegelicious Kitchen:
Check out all the soup & stew recipes here on Vegelicious Kitchen!
And I’d really like to know –
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how this Vegetarian Pasta Fagioli recipe turned out for you. A comment and a rating below would be greatly appreciated. I’d love to hear from you!
Thanks so much friends,