Just some simple comfort in this cozy, warming bowl of Vegan Potato Leek Soup. It’s easy to make and it’s dairy-free, but still creamy and delicious!
I’m ready for soup any time of the year! Are you with me on this?
This Vegan Potato Leek Soup is so easy to make and uses minimal ingredients. That’s the beauty of many soups, it doesn’t take much to make a delicious meal. Just add some type of bread or cracker and maybe even a salad, and voilà – you’ve got a complete meal.
No cream here, just some simple dairy-free comfort food that will hit the spot every time – even with the kids.
The flavors of potatoes and leeks compliment each other so well. With leeks and potatoes in season, there’s not a better excuse to make this soup – not that you need an excuse to make it! 😉
This recipe is one that I come back to time and time again and I hope you will too.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS SOUP
- Vegetable broth
- Olive oil
- Bay leaves
- Salt & pepper
- Nutritional yeast (optional)
Who needs cream, butter or flour when you have the “lowly” potato to thicken and add creaminess to this soup? Without any dairy at all, the soup is creamy and satisfying thanks to the potatoes and with the help of a hand-held immersion blender.
And if you want an added umami factor, stir in a little nutritional yeast when the rest of the soup is done and enjoy!
What if you don’t have a hand-held immersion blender?
If you don’t have an immersion blender, I suggest that you take out about 1 and 1/2 potatoes worth of cubed potatoes and set them aside. Carefully, because it’s very hot, add the rest of the soup, in batches if necessary, to a blender or food processor.
Blend until smooth and creamy and add back to your soup pot along with the cubed potatoes that you set aside.
HOW TO CLEAN AND CUT LEEKS
Leeks can tend to be very dirty in the inside layers. That’s why it’s very important to clean them thoroughly like I mentioned in the recipe below. I’ve watched many YouTube videos on cleaning leeks and Jamie Oliver’s Home Cooking Skills series on how to prepare spinach and leeks is the one I liked the best and wanted to share with you.
To see the part about leeks only, skip ahead on the video to the 3 minute mark. Here is a link to the video for how to clean and cut leeks.
One more thing…
Topping this soup with some oven roasted tomatoes is optional but it brings this recipe to new heights. They are such flavorful and colorful additions.
See how to make these simple and delicious > OVEN ROASTED CHERRY TOMATOES
Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 5 large leeks, white and lighter green parts only, sliced in half lengthwise and washed thoroughly (see video above), cut in 1/2" pieces
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1" cubes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped, or 2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 - 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- Garnish with fresh parsley, chopped green onions (scallions), and oven roasted tomatoes (optional)
- In a heavy bottom soup pot or Dutch oven, saute the leeks in the olive oil for about 3 - 4 minutes until soft, stirring regularly so they don't burn. *You can add a little water to the pan if it becomes too dry and the leeks are sticking.*
- Add the minced shallot, and saute together for about 30 seconds.
- Then add the minced garlic and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add the 6 cups of vegetable broth.
- Then add the thyme, bay leaves and salt.
- To this mixture, add the cubed potatoes and stir together.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium and cook together until the potatoes are fork tender but not totally falling apart.
- At this point, if you want potato chunks in your soup, scoop out about 1 and 1/2 potatoes worth of cubes and set aside. Remove the bay leaves.
- With a hand-held immersion blender, *CAREFULLY*, because it's very hot, blend the soup that's left in the pot to a creamy consistency, then add the potato cubes that you took out and set aside and add them back into the pot with the blended soup.
- Adjust your seasonings - salt and pepper to taste. Then stir in the optional nutritional yeast.
- Garnish each portion with fresh chopped parsley and fresh chopped green onions (scallions).
- **Optional garnish** - oven roasted cherry tomatoes for added color and flavor - "how to" link is in blog post.
- If you don't have a hand-held immersion blender, carefully, because it's very hot, use a regular blender or food processor, possibly in batches, to blend to a smooth and creamy consistency.
- This soup makes about 6 cups.
*Please note that the nutrition information provided is just a close estimate using an online nutrition calculator.*
Inspired by: The Veggie Queen
Craving more vegan and vegetarian soup recipes?
Check out all the SOUP AND STEW RECIPES HERE on Vegelicious Kitchen.
And I’d like to know –
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how this Vegan Potato Leek Soup turned out for you or if you’d like to make it. A comment and a rating below would be greatly appreciated. I’d love to hear from you!
Thanks so much friends
Have a good one!