A simple Fire Roasted Red Pepper Sauce with roasted red peppers, fire-roasted tomatoes and fresh basil
Many times I’ve oven roasted my bell peppers for different recipes. This time I wanted to make a quick version of this delicious sauce.
I don’t always have the time when dinner comes along to make a meal that has some time-consuming aspects. I’m sure you can relate!
In place of the homemade oven roasted red bell peppers, I used jars of fire roasted red peppers that I found at Trader Joe’s. The ingredients are simple – peppers, water, salt and a little brown sugar.
And seriously, what are fire roasted bell peppers without fire roasted tomatoes? They just go together don’t you think?
*Note: If you can’t get Trader Joe’s fire roasted bell peppers, any brand will do. Or you could roast your own – 3 large or 4 medium, roasted and peeled.*
Noodles are always a good choice for adding sauces to. I mean, who doesn’t love noodles with sauce?
They’re my favorite food to eat a wide variety of sauces on top of. Just change up the sauce and you have a completely different meal.
This sauce would also be delicious to top potatoes, grains, roasted or steamed vegetables. There’s lots of power to wow a meal if you have a great sauce.
With all the rain and gloomy days, comfort food has been calling my name, if you know what I mean. Hot pasta dishes, soups, stews, etc. are what I’m craving this time of year. I’m sure mostly everyone in the Northern Hemisphere can relate!
So without further ado, here is the recipe.
Fire Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
Simple Fire Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 12 oz jars fire roasted red peppers, drained - can substitute 4 homemade oven-roasted red bell peppers
- 1 14.5 oz can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh shallots or onions, minced
- 1 12 oz pkg soft silken tofu
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup packed fresh basil for in the sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil and a little more for sauteeing
- 1/2 tsp mild miso (optional)
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice to add to sauce before serving
- 1 lb fettuccine, linguine or spaghetti noodles
- Saute the onions or shallots in olive oil until soft, add the fresh chopped garlic and quickly saute for a few seconds and set aside
- To a high speed blender or food processor, add the peppers, tomatoes, tofu, nutritional yeast, olive oil, salt, 1 packed cup fresh basil, the miso (optional) and the sauteed onions and garlic
- Blend all these ingredients together until thoroughly combined and totally smooth
- Pour into a saucepan and set aside while you cook your noodles
- When your noodles are close to being done, start heating up the sauce on medium low until hot, but don't boil. Right before serving the sauce over the noodles, stir in the fresh lemon juice
- When the noodles are cooked, drain and top them with the roasted red pepper sauce and toss and taste. Adjust seasonings and serve topped with a little chopped fresh basil
Inspired by: Thug Kitchen