Creamy cashews and herbs are blended into a spreadable cream cheese consistency in this Herb Cashew Spread and it’s completely vegan.
Creamy Cashew Spread with Fresh Herbs
So, I guess I could call this recipe “cashew cream cheese” but it’s not cream cheese. Sometimes I think when recipes are vegan and they resemble the look and creaminess of a cream cheese, for example, that’s what the recipe ends up being called. But, I think that can be putting expectations on a recipe that aren’t realistic.
Not that in any way am I saying it’s not a good recipe, it’s just different than dairy cream cheese.Yes, this recipe for Herb Cashew Spread is really creamy and yes it is filled with fresh chopped herbs and yes it does look like a dairy cream cheese spread, but it’s not cheese. It’s its own unique thing – a spread made with nuts and fresh herbs – delicious and nutritious!
So now that we got that out of the way, and that’s clear, this vegan cashew spread is very tasty and it’s good on crackers, toast, a bagel, and as a dip for raw veggies. Today my husband used it as a sandwich spread with some sliced tomatoes – he said it was GOOD STUFF!
I was thinking that the base recipe would be great with other combinations like olives or sun-dried tomatoes and oregano and basil, etc. Now my gears are clicking – the sky’s the limit! Lol!
But today, this is what the recipe is. A Herb Cashew Spread with fresh herbs and garlic – not to disappoint! And not to pose as another creation – it is what it is and it’s good. (smiley face)
Here is the recipe for Herb Cashew Spread:
Herb Cashew Spread
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashew soaked (if whole cashews cut in half before soaking)
- 2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons water - add 1 or 2 more if needed
- 3 green onions chopped small, scallions
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chives snipped small with scissors
- 3 Tablespoons flat leaf parsley chopped small
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary minced
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest optional
- 3 -4 pinches good of salt
- Several good grinds of pepper
- Drain and rinse the cashews that have soaked overnight
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend the cashews, apple cider vinegar, fresh lemon juice and water until smooth
- Transfer this into a bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth with extra on either side for wrapping and place it over a bowl
- Transfer your mixture into the cheesecloth lined sieve and cover this cashew herb mixture with the excess cheesecloth - one side then the other
- Set aside for a couple hours and see if there is any dripping into the bowl, if so pour it out and then refrigerate the spread overnight in the refrigerator in the sieve and bowl
- **It's very possible that there won't be much or any dripping in the bowl so don't worry if there isn't any**
- In the morning, unwrap the spread and transfer it into a bowl or container and ENJOY!
Inspired by: invegetableswetrust.com
Leave a Reply