Feta cheese and kalamata olives bring a rich flavor sensation to this delicious and fresh Greek Quinoa Salad.
Drum Roll Pleeeze! This is Vegelicious Kitchen’s First Post!
I’m excited that Vegelicious Kitchen has finally come to birth – sometimes births take a long time. I should know, I’ve had 4 kids. I know this isn’t quite the same but I’m happy about it.
Quinoa is such a staple in my family and so versatile. There are so many ways to use it – sweet or savory. I tend to really like all things Greek, probably because I think kalamata olives and feta cheese are delicious – especially together.
A dish like a quinoa salad can be served warm or cold. This one is the cold version. This is the perfect meal for making ahead. It will keep nicely in the refrigerator for about 3 days and it is great to eat at home or easy to take in a container to work or school.
I make my quinoa in a rice cooker. It turns out perfect every time. But if you don’t have one, stove top is also really easy and takes just a short time – like 15 minutes. I’m not a microwave gal, but there are instructions on the quinoa package for making it in the microwave.
You can make your salad colorful by your choice of veggies. I like the saying “eat the rainbow” – there is something so appealing about colorful food. It appeals to our sense of sight which is so important as a first impression. And, if it tastes delicious too, you’ve got a winner.
Here is the recipe:
Greek Quinoa Salad
- 2 1/2 cups quinoa cooked
- 1/2 cup feta Cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives sliced in thirds
- 1 cup Persian cucumbers sliced in rounds
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper chopped small
- 1/4 cup red onion minced
- 1 cup sugar plum or cherry tomatoes sliced in thirds
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 T fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp . Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tsp . agave nectar
- 1 tsp . sesame seeds
- First rinse and cook your quinoa according to package directions
- While quinoa is cooking prepare your dressing by whisking together the ingredients and setting aside
- Next start preparing your vegetables and cheese
- Crumble feta
- Slice Persian cucumbers in small rounds
- Mince red onion
- Cut tomatoes in quarters or slice in thirds
- Slice Kalamata olives in thirds
- Chop yellow bell pepper small
- When the quinoa is done cooking pour it into a bowl to start cooling. Give it a few gentle turns while it is cooling so it won't clump and will cool faster. Place bowl in the refrigerator to cool faster.
- When the quinoa is cool, gently fold in all the veggies and olives
- Fold in the dressing gently (you may not want to use all the dressing so taste before you pour all of it on.)
- Top with the crumbled feta cheese
Have fun and enjoy eating the rainbow! Things you'll need: *feta cheese *quinoa *fresh limes *Kalamata olives *olive oil
Recipe inspired by: theroastedroot.net