These sugary crumble-topped Banana Streusel Muffins are simply delish!
Vegan Banana Streusel Muffins
Bananas, bananas, bananas! I can’t seem to keep up with how fast they ripen. BUT I’m really thankful that bananas are so versatile. They’re perfect for smoothies, banana bread, banana muffins, to use in place of oil in a recipe, they freeze great, etc. So there’s really no good excuse for wasting ripe bananas or throwing them away.
I have to say that these Banana Streusel Muffins are really good with coffee. Actually, I’m having one right now. They’re just too tempting to refuse and that streusel topping has me hooked! That’s the danger of making them – so beware!
Also, make sure you have a plate or napkin under your muffin when you eat it! Because the crumble does tumble and you want to make sure not to lose it to the floor or the dog – you would be very sad.
I want to tell you something. I’m really excited about this and it’s not about bananas or muffins. A week from today, I’m starting an online Professional Plant Based Certification course through Rouxbe Cooking School. Did I mention that I’m excited?!! I just wanted to tell you because it’s a 6 month course and I’ll be learning a lot of things and I hope to share some of them with you and also some of my creations – WIN WIN!
So back to the muffins! The recipe is very simple and most likely you have some ripe bananas or at least you’ll be having some soon I bet. So give this recipe a try!
Banana Streusel Muffin Recipe:
Banana Streusel Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mashed very ripe banana about 4
- 1/4 cup oil I used sunflower
- 2 Tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ***For STREUSEL TOPPING***:
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 5 Tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter or dairy butter if not vegan
- 4 Tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 Tablespoons granola or more chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- ***First Prepare Your Streusel Topping and Set Aside:***
- Combine the flour, sugar, walnuts, granola and work in the vegan butter with a fork and then your hands to distribute the butter throughout the topping mixture - when done, set this aside
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl - flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
- In another bowl combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and whisk together - let sit for 2 minutes
- Add the oil, agave or maple syrup, vanilla and mashed bananas to the milk and vinegar and mix well
- Stir the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients until well combined but not over-mixed
- Add muffin papers to your muffin tins or just oil them instead if you don't want to use papers
- Fill your muffin tins about 3/4 full with the batter
- Top each muffin evenly with the streusel topping
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes - start checking them at 15 minutes
- They're done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes on wire racks before taking the muffins out of the tins
- Let them cool completely and serve or store in an airtight container or freeze for later
Inspired by: Minimalist Baker
Leave a Reply