Avocado Cilantro Pesto is a combination made in
heaven, I mean, Mexico!
Just in time for Cinco de Mayo
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, since it’s the 5th of May, I made this tasty Avocado Cilantro Pesto. Pesto made with avocados is so creamy and delicious. Adding fresh cilantro in place of fresh basil gives it that south of the border twist.
When my husband and I were first married we lived near the border of Mexico in New Mexico for about 6 months. During that time we ventured down into Mexico for a day trip ending up south of El Paso, Texas in Ciudad Juárez on Cinco de Mayo. Well, needless to say, we quickly found out it was party time in Mexico that day!
So apparently the Cinco de Mayo celebration originated because of winning a battle with the French back in the 1800’s on the 5th of May. I always thought it was to celebrate their independence from Spain like a lot of people do.
But here in the United States it’s become a good excuse to partay and celebrate Mexican heritage with lots of food and margaritas!! So avocados are a must for celebrating!
Living in New Mexico, began my love affair with avocados. Especially being a vegetarian, they became a staple of my husband and I’s favorite sandwiches – avocado, tomato and alfalfa sprouts!! Many restaurants called a sandwich like that “The Hippie”. Yep, that’s how people thought about a sandwich with avocados and sprouts like that back then!
Things have changed a lot since that time! Avocados in just about anything are becoming very mainstream and really popular. Just take a look at all the avocado toast pictures and all the avocado roses on Instagram!! People are really recognizing their health benefits and creamy deliciousness.
The noodles I used with the pesto were gluten-free and made of corn and rice which seemed appropriate for a Mexican recipe – CORN!
Here is the recipe for Avocado Cilantro Pesto:
Avocado Cilantro Pesto
- 1 - 1 1/2 large ripe avocados
- 2 cups cilantro packed tightly
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or sunflower seed kernals
- 3 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast optional
- 12 ounces of whole grain pasta
- Put your water on to boil for your noodles and add salt to the water
- Let cook to desired firmness
- While the noodles are cooking, add all the ingredients other than the noodles to a high speed blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec, and blend until smooth and creamy
- When your noodles are done, drain them in a colander and then add them to a large bowl and mix the Avocado Cilantro Pesto into them to cover.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and serve
- Add fresh chopped tomatoes (optional)
- Add minced jalapeno peppers (optional)
Inspired by: Avocados
Leave a Reply