This Cauliflower Cheez Sauce is a delicious, creamy and tasty vegan topping!
It’s a comfort food kinda thing…
Recently I ate oil-free for a month and a half. I have to say it’s a really challenging thing to do – at least for me it was. Despite the challenge, I did it and ended up losing about 12 lbs. and actually felt a lot better! I cut out my favorite craft beers and I’m sure that helped with the weight loss too!
I know there are people who live and eat this way regularly. Personally I think it would be difficult to maintain for a long period of time, but that’s just me. In spite of that, I do think it’s a very valid choice, almost cleanse-like, that I hope to do at times during the year – like before the holidays, after the holidays, spring time, etc. I definitely think it’s a good thing!
The Key To Being Satisfied
Oil is a very important ingredient for carrying and adding flavor to foods. Because of this, it’s very important that food be very tasty and flavorful when you’re not using oil – this can be tricky!
For me, and I think for most people, it’s hard to eat food that doesn’t taste good. My goal in preparing an oil-free recipe is to make the food tasty and satisfying without the oil. It’s no small feat! That’s what I was trying to accomplish with this sauce and I think I succeeded!
Potatoes have been demonized as causing weight gain, but by themselves, without all the high calorie toppings, this isn’t really true. So having a steamed veggie like broccoli, and topping a plain baked potato with it and a creamy cauliflower “cheez” sauce, you don’t have to worry about it being fattening. And it tastes good too.
So there are so many ways to use this Creamy Cauliflower Cheez Sauce besides on potatoes. It’s great on grains or over vegetables too. But, I have to admit, that my very favorite way is over noodles with some sun-dried tomatoes or oven-roasted tomatoes – now that’s the bomb!
Comfort food get in my belly!
PS: I think this sauce is even better after a day or two as the flavors mingle! Just sayin’… 😉
Here is the recipe for Creamy Cauliflower Cheez Sauce:
Creamy Cauliflower Cheez Sauce
- 5 - 6 cups cauliflower florets
- 6 - 7 cups vegetable broth (to cook cauliflower in), OR 1/2 water and 1/2 vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened soy milk, or more if needed
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper, or more to taste
- 1 tsp light yellow miso
- Cook the cauliflower florets in the vegetable broth until tender
- While the cauliflower is cooking, saute the garlic in water or broth until tender
- Transfer the cooked cauliflower (WITHOUT THE BROTH, into a blender and then add 1/2 cup of the hot broth (be careful)
- Add the sauteed garlic and then the rest of the ingredients (except the leftover cauliflower cooking water/broth), to the blender
- Blend until smooth and creamy
- Use right away or pour into a container and let it cool and refrigerate
- Keeps for about 5 days in the refrigerator or can be frozen
Inspired by: Pinch of Yum