When plain avocado in your sandwich isn’t quite enough, this Avocado Chickpea Spread will add some protein boosting chickpeas to make for a hearty and delicious sandwich filling.
When plain avocado in your sandwich isn’t quite enough, add a satisfying protein boost with chickpeas (garbanzo beans). Along with the addition of other goodies, it turns into a hearty and delicious spread. This Avocado Chickpea Spread is just the ticket for a lunch at home or to take with you on a picnic. Add slices of cucumber, tomato slices, thinly sliced red onion, greens – whatever additions that make your sandwich yummy!
Are you a picnicker? When I was growing up, my family regularly went on picnics. We’d often go to one of the lakes near us in New Hampshire or Maine and always bring a picnic lunch. I have fond memories of that.
Have you ever gone on a picnic with friends and forgot to bring food? Well, my mom did that once – how embarrassing!! Our family went to the lake with another family and when we got there, my mom realized she had forgotten the food at home! Talk about feeling stupid!
Well, thankfully that’s never happened to me, but I felt really bad for her since she was really embarrassed and the other family had to share everything they brought with us!
Anyway, back to the sandwich…this sandwich filling is really creamy and delicious – it’s hard not to be good with avocado in it, right? It’s a great choice to bring on a picnic for us veggie folks! Just prepare it ahead of time at home and chill it for an hour or so the flavors can mingle. This can be a vegan or a vegetarian spread depending on which mayonnaise you use.
Serve it on top of a salad or spread on the bread of your choice. I think it would be great in pitas, on sandwich rolls, croissants, etc. with a side of chips, pickles – whatever = picnic to you!
Here is the recipe for Avocado Chickpea Spread:
Avocado Chickpea Spread
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise vegan or regular (I used Hampton Creek Just Mayo)
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 15.5 oz . can chickpeas rinsed and drained and mashed
- 1 in avocado cut small chunks and drizzled with lemon juice
- 2 green onions chopped small
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers chopped small
- 1/4 cup black olives coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped small
- 1/8 teaspoon onion granules
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic granules
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together the fresh lemon juice, mayo and Dijon mustard and set aside
- Mash the chickpeas in a bowl with a potato masher, remove the skins
- Add the green onions, roasted red peppers, black olives, celery, onion and garlic granules, salt and pepper and mix together
- Gently stir in the avocado chunks
- Add the mayo, mustard, lemon juice mixture and stir all together
- Taste to adjust seasonings
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors mingle
- Serve as a sandwich spread or a salad topping
Inspired by: californiaavocado.com