One Pot Black Bean Pumpkin Chili is easy to make. It’s a tasty and comforting version of chili using canned pumpkin, black beans, red lentils and bulgur.
So when the weather is cold and you come in from outside, and you’re really hungry…Black Bean Pumpkin Chili to the rescue!
Living in Northern California, we have cool winters and often frosty mornings. Sometimes the days warm up and are sunny and other days, they just are not.
I’m certainly not comparing us to major winter climates by any means. But, for us Northern Californians, we do have a winter and it does get cold…to us.
Heavenly Smells From Your Kitchen
The smell of the seasonings as this chili cooks is so alluring. Warm and hearty comfort food in the making. The perfect bowl of goodness to cozy up to!
This is a vegan recipe by itself . You can add a topping of non-dairy cheese shreds like Daiya brand if you’d like. But if you’re not vegan, a topping of some shredded cheddar cheese is awesome too.
To each his own as they say…
The recipe for this Black Bean Pumpkin Chili is very easy to make, fairly quick and you can make it all in one pot. And it’s so tasty! We like those types of recipes, don’t we?
This isn’t your typical all bean chili recipe. The red lentils and bulgur add a great thickness and texture to this vegan/vegetarian chili, making it quite hearty and satisfying! Because…
- black beans, red lentils and bulgur are high fiber foods so they will keep you satisfied for a long time.
Topping suggestions for this chili include: shredded cheese, dairy or non-dairy, sliced jalapeño peppers, fresh chopped cilantro, chunks of creamy avocado and chopped green onions (scallions). Take your pick!
If you’re not vegan, a little dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt would be delicious. And if you are vegan, then try some vegan sour cream or non-dairy plain yogurt on top!
Here is the recipe:
One Pot Black Bean Pumpkin Chili
- 2 Tbs avocado oil, or cooking oil of your choice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large green poblano chili pepper, chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper, (just the pepper) from a can with adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 Tbsp jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 14.5 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1/2 - 1 tsp adobo sauce from the can that the chipotle pepper was in
- 1 1/2 cups medium heat jarred salsa or picante sauce
- 1/2 15 oz. can of pumpkin
- 1 1/2 - 2 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained, approximately 3 cups of black beans
- Top with fresh chopped cilantro
- Slices of fresh jalapeno pepper for garnish (optional)
- Shredded non-dairy cheese or dairy cheddar cheese to top (optional)
- In a heavy bottom soup pot or Dutch oven, over medium heat, add 2 Tbsp oil
- Add the onions, poblano chili, chipotle and jalapeno peppers, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin and a sprinkle of salt
- Saute for about 5 minutes and stir in minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds more
- Pour in the water, the canned fire roasted tomatoes, red lentils, bulgur, adobo sauce, medium heat jarred salsa or picante sauce, garlic and onion granules
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 - 20 minutes, stirring regularly as it thickens so it doesn't stick
- Stir in the pumpkin and the black beans and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt & pepper if needed
- Serve each portion topped with fresh chopped cilantro, sliced green onions (scallions) and shredded cheese (dairy or non-dairy)
- Optional toppings are avocado chunks or slices, fresh jalapeno pepper slices and sour cream (dairy or non-dairy)
*Please note that the nutrition information provided is just a close estimate using an online nutrition calculator.*
Inspired by: Pinch of Yum
Try this Chili with:
And I’d really like to know –
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how this Black Bean Pumpkin Chili recipe turned out for you. A comment and a rating below would be greatly appreciated. I’d love to hear from you!
Thanks so much friends.
Have a good one!