Fresh Brussels sprouts are transported to another level in this easy to make, smooth, rich and creamy Brussels Sprouts Soup.
CALLING ALL BRUSSELS SPROUTS LOVERS! You know who you are 😉
When you’re a Brussels Sprouts lover like I am you’ll use them every which way you can – even in a creamy soup.
I Love How Brussels Sprouts Grow
I think it’s so cool to see the large stalks of Brussels Sprouts inside and outside the stores. They are truly a unique vegetable buying experience when they are still on their stalks. But whether you find them that way or not, they’re usually available year round at most grocery stores loose or in packages in the produce section.
Brussels Sprouts are like mini cabbages but with a milder flavor. They’re high in antioxidants similar to spinach and kale in that regard.
When choosing Brussels Sprouts, make sure they’re firm and a nice color of green – not soft and yellowing.
This soup is not for people who are “on the fence” about Brussels Sprouts because there is nothing hiding their flavor in this recipe. You have to lurrve those little green beauties to fully appreciate this soup, if you know what I mean. But for those who do, this is a special rich and creamy delight! And, it’s very easy to make.
This delicious cream of Brussels Sprouts Soup has an added light and cheesy touch of ricotta cheese and is blended up to a smooth and creamy consistency. The garnish of the sautéed slices of Brussels Sprouts and the buttery and crunchy almond slices, add such a nice contrast to this otherwise smooth and creamy soup.
You’ll want more Brussels Sprouts in your life because they’re…
- high in fiber
- full of vitamins especially vitamin C and vitamin K
- good source of potassium and folate
- low in calories
- high in antioxidants
Here is the recipe:
Creamy Brussels Sprouts Soup
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups Brussels Sprouts, cut in half the long way, *set aside 4 of the halves for later*
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Heat 2 Tbsp of the butter with 1 Tbsp olive oil on medium in a heavy bottom soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Add the onion and shallot and saute until soft and translucent - about 6 - 8 minutes. Be careful not to brown them.
- Add the garlic and the Brussels Sprouts (make sure you have set aside 4 halves), and stir to coat with the oil and butter, onions and shallots.
- Stir in the broth, bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the Brussels Sprouts are tender.
- Mix in the ricotta cheese and carefully add all this to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the blended soup back to the pot. Cover to keep warm.
- Thinly slice the 4 Brussels Sprouts halves that you set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp butter in a frying pan on medium-low heat and add the 4 sliced Brussels Sprouts. Carefully saute these until tender, being careful not to burn them - season them lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a small frying pan, add the butter and melt over medium-low heat.
- Add the sliced almonds, stirring often so the almonds brown lightly.
- Cool by adding the slightly browned almond slices to a plate lined with a paper towel and try to spread them out some.
- Top each portion of soup with some of the almonds and a couple slices of the sauteed Brussels Sprouts.
- Sprinkle a few red pepper flakes on top to add a little color and heat. (optional)
Inspired by: From A Chef’s Kitchen
*Please note that the nutrition information provided is just a close estimate using an online nutrition calculator.*
Other Popular Soups on Vegelicious Kitchen:
Craving more vegetarian soup recipes?
Check out all the soup and stew recipes here on Vegelicious Kitchen.
Thanks so much friends,