Zucchini Noodle Salad
Raw vegan low carb salad made with fresh zucchini, olives, capers, tomatoes and basil.
- 4 medium/large zucchini
- 16 - 20 cherry tomatoes, cut in thirds
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/3 cup pimento stuffed green olives coarsely chopped or sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives coarsely chopped or sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 20 leaves fresh basil rolled tightly and thinly sliced (chiffonade cut)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Spiralize the zucchinis and set aside in a bowl - if you don't have a spiralizer, you can make long flat fettuccini-style noodles with a potato peeler
Sprinkle a couple small pinches of salt over the noodles, toss and let sit for about 20- 30 minutes to release excess water from the zucchini and to soften slightly
**Important note** Do not over-salt the noodles - leave it at a couple of small pinches or your noodles may release so much water that they're wilted**
While your zucchini noodles are resting, prepare your other ingredients and mix together the tomatoes, garlic, capers, 2 types of olives, olive oil, and 3/4 of the basil, salt and pepper and set aside so flavors will blend for about 30 minutes.
After the zucchini noodles have rested for 20 - 30 minutes, using a clean kitchen towel, paper towels or clean hands, VERY GENTLY squeeze out some of the excess water being careful not to squish the noodles.
Place the noodles in another bowl and then gently toss in the tomato mixture and garnish with the remaining basil leaves. Taste and check for salt and pepper - add some if needed.
This salad is best served right away or it may be refrigerated and eaten the next day.
- This recipe is best the day you make it as it will continue to wilt over time. It is still delicious and maintains the fresh crunch of the zucchini noodles the next day, but it may not be as pretty!
- Leftovers can be refrigerated in a container with a tight fitting lid for 1 -2 days.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 561mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 724IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg