Flavorful Vegan Tofu Ricotta
A tasty and quick to make vegan tofu ricotta with fresh basil and spinach. No food processor required!
Servings 3 cups
- 1 15.5 oz. extra firm tofu, finely crumbled
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 1/2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp shallots, finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice plus 1 tsp
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, tightly packed and then finely chopped
First remove the tofu from the package and squeeze between your hands over the sink, a bowl or a colander to remove excess water. It's not necessary to remove all the water but most of it. It's also fine if the tofu gets a little smushed because that's the next step anyway.
In a bowl, break tofu into very very small pieces, like a moist crumble.
Add nutritional yeast, shallots, garlic and salt and stir together.
Stir in the fresh lemon juice and tahini and combine.
Finally stir in the finely chopped spinach and basil and mix all together well.
It can be served right away or chilled in the refrigerator to blend flavors.
- Use as a sandwich filling with lettuce and tomato
- Top a slice of toast or make an open face sandwich with it.
- It's great as a filling for manicotti or lasagna
- Vegan ricotta also makes a delicious pizza topping
- It will last in the refrigerator for about 5 to 7 days in a container with a tight fitting lid.
Serving: 0.33cup | Calories: 98kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 207mg | Potassium: 260mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1080IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1.3mg