Cold Soba Noodle Salad
Asian-inspired, make-ahead, colorful Cold Soba Noodle Salad with tomatoes, Kalamata olives, fresh basil, green beans, scallions, sesame seeds and a lemony sesame dressing.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 side dishes
- 1 9.5 oz. package soba noodles (3 bundles)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 small lemons, juiced
- 3 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, cut in thirds and blanched
- 6 Tbsp Kalamata olives, sliced
- 15 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 6 Tbsp yellow or orange tomato, chopped, (or yellow cherry tomatoes cut in quarters)
- 24 basil leaves, torn in a few pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- green onions (scallions), the green tops, chopped for topping
- sesame seeds for garnish
Cook the soba noodles in unsalted boiling water until done but not mushy. Soba noodles cook in about 7 to 8 minutes. Drain them and add them to a large bowl of cold water. Swish the noodles gently to cool and not stick together. Drain in a colander and set aside
Combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and toasted sesame oil in a bowl for the dressing and whisk together. Set aside
Add your cut green beans to boiling water and bring back to a boil. Blanch them for about 2 minutes then drain and add to a bowl of very cold water or ice water to cool and stop cooking. When they are cooled, drain them in a colander.
Add the cooked soba noodles to a large bowl. Toss in the green beans and the Kalamata olives, both colors of tomatoes and the fresh basil leaves.
Pour the dressing over the noodle salad and gently combine with salad tongs or a couple forks. Taste for salt and add some if needed.
Top with chopped green onions (scallions) and sesame seeds.
Can be eaten right away or covered and chilled in the refrigerator.
- Take the chilled Soba Noodle Salad out of the refrigerator for about 5 - 10 minutes before serving for best flavors.
- Will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 days.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 268kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 465mg | Potassium: 368mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 525IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 2mg