Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos
Quick, easy and delicious black bean and corn soft tacos with poblano peppers, queso fresco and cilantro crema.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro, minced, (can include stems)
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup organic corn,
- 1 medium poblano pepper, chopped small (1/4" dice)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or oil of choice
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chipotle chili powder, depending on how spicy you want it
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules or powder
- 1/2 tsp onion granules or powder
- 6 small flour tortillas, 6" (fajita size)
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 6 Tbsp crispy fried onions
- 2 limes, quartered,
Combine the sour cream with half of the minced cilantro and set the other half aside for garnishing
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil or oil of choice.
To the pan, add the poblano pepper and corn and stir regularly until lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the black beans, chipotle chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic granules or powder and a couple pinches of salt and stir together.
Continue stirring occasionally until the beans are heated through and the corn is lightly charred - about 1 - 2 minutes.
Turn off the burner and remove the pan from the heat and put a lid on the pan.
Heat the tortillas on both sides in a hot, dry pan. Add them to a tortilla warmer or a pan with a lid to keep warm.
To serve: Add 1/6 of the filling to each tortilla first, then top with the 1/6 of cilantro crema and the crumbled queso fresco, 1 Tablespoon crispy onions and the cilantro that you previously set aside. Squeeze fresh lime juice, over the top (*important step!*) TAKE A BIG BITE and ENJOY!
- Smoked paprika can be substituted for the chipotle chili powder - it may not be as spicy if you use smoked paprika in place of the chipotle chili powder.
- Crispy Fried Onions aren't totally necessary but they're a delicious addition. You can find them in most grocery stores - just ask a clerk if you can't find them right away.
- Poblano peppers are usually fairly mild but occasionally there will be a hotter one. *make sure to wash your hands after handling them and be careful not to touch your eyes just in case they are spicy!*
- Fresh lime juice squeezed over the top of the tacos adds a delicious brightness to these tacos - very important step!
- Toppings of ripe avocado and/or diced tomatoes are always welcome additions!
Serving: 6tortillas | Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 342mg | Potassium: 209mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 625IU | Vitamin C: 23.7mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 2.1mg