Best Cornbread Muffins
Light & Tasty - These are the Best Cornbread Muffins to go along with soups, stews, salads, chilis or just to eat as a snack by themselves or with a little butter and honey.
Servings 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal NOT coarse ground
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/4 cups milk or half and half
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup mild oil like sunflower or avocado
Preheat oven to 350F degrees
In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt and stir together
In a separate bowl, beat the 2 eggs with a whisk and add the milk, oil and honey and whisk or stir together well
Pour this liquid mixture into the flour/cornmeal mixture and stir until all is combined but don't overmix.
Prepare your muffin tins with paper liners and fill each 1/2 to 3/4 full of the mixture using a 1/4 cup measuring cup or a spoon
Bake at 350F degrees for 10 - 13 minutes depending how full you fill each one. Muffins are ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove the muffin tins from the oven and place on cooling racks for about 10 minutes. Then take the muffins, with papers still on, from the tins and place them directly on the cooling rack to continue cooling.
- These cornbread muffins are delicious to eat either warm (best) or at room temperature. Store any leftover muffins in a plastic zip top bag or a container with a tight fitting lid.
- A little bit of softened butter on them is a tasty addition and maybe even a drizzle of honey (optional)